Established in 1998 our client is a global solar power company that develops, constructs, owns and operates utility-scale solar and smart technology across Europe, Latin America and Africa.
Independent and headquartered in the UK, they are well known internationally for developing and building some of the largest utility-scale solar in the UK, Netherlands, Spain, Kenya and Mexico, as well as other pioneering projects including the world’s first solar bridge at Blackfriars Station in Central London.
The role’s primary responsibility is to deliver Budget, Quality and Timely Operations in the NL region. This will involve coordination with central operational functions such as strategic procurement, HSEQ, Tech Standards.
This is a leadership role requiring excellent judgment on challenging situations along with sound commercial acumen and supplier management skills, to support the development of the NL pipeline. The NL Operations Manager will be expected to positively contribute to the performance, growth and profitability of the region.
The position manages an operations team involved in the development, delivery and operation & maintenance of utility scale projects, ensuring they are completed to a high quality, safely, on time and within budget.
The position will also specially focus on the regional strategy to identify grid connection opportunities and reduce the cost of grid connection by moving away from the traditional DNO full turnkey offer and evaluate alternative options to mitigate capacity restrictions.
Important measures of accountability to track and improve.
• Regional EBITDA
• Growth of the business
• Actual vs planned EPC margin
• Days to PAC
• O&M profitability
• O&M Availability %
Key activities and responsibilities:
You will be responsible for the following activities across the NL region:
• Supporting the development of the NL project pipeline to Financial Close
• Accuracy of CAPEX and OPEX cost models and margin estimates
• Smooth customer engagement delivering reasonable/feasible EPC & O&M contracts
• Innovation of the current NL grid connection model, and reducing this cost area
• Development of strong local/regional (EPCM) subcontractor partnerships
• Impact in constant battle to drive down costs without introducing quality risk
• Safety, quality, timing, profitability of construction activities
• Getting projects quickly to customer acceptance (and full cash receipt)
• Delivery of O&M services delivering good KPI performance (profitability, system availability, PR, LDs) and high customer satisfaction
• The job will require a reasonable amount of travel within the Netherlands through the planning and delivery of the project pipeline.
• You will be the escalation point for projects with margin or legal challenges, and for any serious customer complaints.
• You will have accountability for construction safety and quality, and need to ensure that all projects across the region are following corporate standards in these matters.
Skills and experience:
Some of the needed/preferred Skills and Experience are:
• Existing personal network among key suppliers an advantage
• Proven track record in managing operations in PV industry
• Detailed knowledge of contracting, constructing, and maintaining HV connections
• Team management
• Highly self-motivated
• Good knowledge of the project development process
• Strong initiative and creative thinking
• Fluent in Dutch and English with other languages advantageous.
• Ability to work individually and as a team.
• Excellent communication skills
• Managing budgets
• Understanding of PV and competing technologies
• Understanding and use of financial modelling
• Willingness to travel