We are now accepting applications from Software Engineers to work with this world leader in low voltage monitoring systems for the electricity supply and other industries. The company part of a leading organisation in secondary power distribution solutions, has over 100 years’ industry experience, with facilities in Africa, Brazil, Dubai, India and Thailand as well as the UK.
You will be working as part of a small team of embedded engineers and you will be key to developing the next generation of automation solutions. This is an excellent opportunity for a software engineer to work in a mixed signal environment, developing software for both analogue data acquisition systems and ARM based micro-controllers for high reliability operation in a hostile environment.
You will work with this niche divisions team and other stakeholders to develop early life cycle solutions from defining and agreeing technical specifications to prototyping concepts through to productionisation and support.
Based in Basildon, you will be expected to travel to domestic and overseas subcontractors, customers and various sites.
· Innovate to bring novel solutions to customer challenges
· Work in an agile way to bring solutions to market meeting cost and schedule targets
· Work early in the product life cycle, taking designs from requirement through to prototype
· Work throughout the organisation to productionise and support products
· Design new and modify existing products using company specific software to produce designs and implement systems.
· Take responsibility for the entire product life cycle, including specification, software architecture, design, validation, production release and customer support for released products
· Support change management, testing, fault finding, prototype and production build.
· Provide end user support for both new and existing products
· Be involved in continuous improvement activities
Skills – what do you need to be able to do?
· Analyse system requirements.
· Interpret industry standards (BS/ISO/IEC/IEEE).
· Interpret and/or contribute to requirements and specifications.
· Create concept designs.
· Use Integrated Development Environments together with Change and Configuration Management tools to develop software source code
· Develop comprehensive test cases to demonstrate that functional and performance requirements are met.
· Produce supporting documentation and provide training.
· Solve problems.
· Communicate verbally and using MS Office, Change and Configuration Management and similar collaboration tools.
· Work with electronics, systems and mechanical engineers to design and debug systems
· Manage part of, or whole projects.
· Manage workflow and time.
· Research emerging technical and regulatory trends.
Knowledge – what you need to know
· Programming languages and libraries
o C & CMSIS
o C++ & STL/Boost
· Linux operating systems
· Object Orientated and Structured Analysis and Design
· Change and Configuration Management tools, such as Git, SVN
· Schematics and PCB layouts (for embedded)
· Engineering mathematics and modelling (for analogue measurement systems)
· Unit and system test methods
Knowledge – what it would be good to have
· Programming languages
· Experience of communications protocols such as Modbus Serial/TCP IP, DNP3 Serial/TCP IP
· Design patterns
· Cyber security
· Knowledge of LV, MV distribution systems and switchgear
· Market knowledge particularly competitors, customers and other related industries
Qualifications - You will have a good degree in a relevant subject (Software Engineering or equivalent)